Google+ Followers

Monday, February 13, 2012

What will you regret?

A little while ago, I was in the kitchen washing dishes and Baby I was playing in her bouncer nearby. She started to fuss and I talked to her, letting her know I was there and almost done and to just be patient. I was nearly done with the dishes, wanted to finish them up, didn't want to leave them until later, I was on a roll so I should just finish, etc etc. You know the things we tell ourselves.

And then it occurred to me--if, in the near future, a surgeon comes out and begins his update with the words "I'm sorry..." I will not regret leaving my dishes dirty.

I pick up Baby I and she puts her arms with their delicious little dimpled elbows around my neck and hugs me close. She presses her soft little cheek against mine and sighs as her body relaxes. She smiles and closes her eyes and her entire being is completely devoted to simply enjoying a mommy-cuddle. Those dishes are still sitting there, waiting. But I will never regret leaving them there.