Pages

Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Snacktime!

Snacktime around these parts is very serious business, especially since it seems all three kids are going through a growth spurt at the same time.  So when we find a hit, they want it ALL. THE. TIME.  So I have made these homemade granola bars numerous times over the past few weeks, tweaking the recipe each time, and I think we finally have our winner! 

  • 1 cup peanut butter
  • 1/3 cup butter, softened (I sit it out on my counter until it is soft.  Makes it very easy to mix up)
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar (We use Florida Crystals.  I am not being compensated to say that, I just prefer it)
  • 1/3 cup honey
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla
  • 3 1/3 cup oats
  • 1/2 cup coconut 
  • 1/2 cup sunflower seeds (we prefer raw but roasted works when I can't find raw)
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/2 cup chocolate chips (semi sweet or dark are the preferred choices around here)
  • 1/2 cup raisins (we prefer the golden raisins)
 Preheat oven to 350 degrees

Mix peanut butter, butter, sugar, honey, and vanilla.

Add oats, coconut, and sunflower seeds and mix well.  Next, add in two eggs and mix thoroughly.  If you don't want to use eggs, the granola bars will just be a little soft and crumbly.  Before I started adding the eggs to help bind everything together, we often had to use a spoon to eat the bars because every time you bit it, parts would fall off ;)

Next, gently stir in the chocolate and raisins and press mixture evenly into a 13x9 glass baking dish.  I usually spritz the dish with a little olive oil first--helps with cleanup and to ensure nothing sticks.  Bake for 20-25 minutes.  Allow to cool completely before slicing into bars.  We store these in an airtight container in our pantry and honestly I am not sure how long they stay good because the family eats them within a week :p

No comments:

Post a Comment