Pages

Thursday, March 16, 2017

Words, words, and more words!

W has become quite the little chatterbox lately and not just babbling--there are words! Words that I recognize and that go together :p  Between his limited vocabulary and his new found charade skills, he can tell me little stories and memories :)  Of course, to the rest of the world, he is just babbling incoherently ;)

He had speech therapy and the therapist could only pick out a few words here and there and he was getting frustrated that she wasn't understanding him or answering his questions so I spent most of the session translating for her so she would know what he was saying and asking.  He's trying real hard but he's just not quite there yet!  However, I've long been in the habit of repeating back what my kids say because the very first speech therapist we met with, way back when S was not quite two (nine years ago!), told me that one of the best ways to improve speech in little ones is to repeat modeling correct pronunciation and grammar.  Once I figure out what W is trying to say and can echo it back at him properly, he starts to try and copy how I say it and slowly his pronunciation shifts to something more people can understand.  We'll get there eventually :)

No comments:

Post a Comment